Still unsure of the new PSLE 2015 format for English? Fret not, here is a breakdown of the components for the new format!
PSLE 2015 English Components
Situational Writing (15 marks)
- Formal or informal style in the forms of letter or email
Composition Writing – (40 marks) (New Format!)
- Only 1 Question
- A theme and 3 isolated pictures related to the topic will be given
- Pupils must write according to the theme and use at least 1 picture
- This encourages openness and creativity in interpretation of the topic
Booklet A (28 marks)
· Grammar, Vocabulary & Vocabulary Cloze
· Visual Text Comprehension (New!)
- Double-page spread of a visual text (graphic stimulus)
- 8 questions
Booklet B (67 marks)
· Grammar Cloze, Editing, Comprehension Cloze, Sentence synthesis and transformation
· Open-ended Comprehension (New Format!)
- Presentation of questions in traditional and table form
- Tests skills such as sequencing & true/false justification
Listening Comprehension (20 marks)
Oral (30 marks)
· Reading Aloud (10 marks)
· Stimulus Based Question (20 marks) (New!)
- Main topic will be discussed based on visual stimulus:
Directly-linked to the topic
E.g. Look at the picture, which of these animals will you adopt?
Broadly-linked to the topic.
E.g. How can you advise your friends to be responsible pet owners?
- Stimulus may be any visual stimulus e.g. brochure, advertisement, poster etc.
We will be sharing more about strategies, including tips on handling the changes in the new format for various components soon. Stay tuned!